This Turkey Pumpkin Chili recipe is the perfect Fall dish made with ground turkey, tomatoes, canned pumpkin, white beans and spinach.
Turkey Pumpkin Chili is the perfect Fall dish made with ground turkey, tomatoes, canned pumpkin, white beans and spinach.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⅓ pounds ground turkey or chicken (90 to 93 percent lean)
- One 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- ¼ cup tomato paste, no salt added
- One 14-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (or 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice)
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Avocado (optional)
- Sour cream or Nonfat plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Liberally coat a large pot or Dutch oven with oil spray and warm over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, or until the onion softens.
- Add the garlic, stir everything together, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey or chicken. Use a spatula or large spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Continue to cook about 6 to 7 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pumpkin puree, broth, chili powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice), cumin, black pepper, and optional cayenne pepper, and stir.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Right before serving, add the spinach and mix throughout.
- Enjoy the chili with desired toppings, such as avocado, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, cilantro, and salsa.
Instant Pot Method:
- Press saute on the instant pot, then follow the steps 1 to 5, cook 15 min high pressure, natural release. Add the spinach just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +:
- Calories: 300 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 10g
- Protein: 27g
Read more at SKINNYTASTE