Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 skewers & 1 Tbsp. sauce
Equipment: Eight 10- to 12-inch skewers
- 2 tablespoons Thai red, green or yellow curry paste
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk (see Tip, below)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 16 raw shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 8 cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, quartered
- 6 scallions, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Position oven rack 3 to 4 inches from the broiler; preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Heat curry paste in a small saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, honey and fish sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the sauce to a large bowl (reserve remaining sauce for dipping). Stir in oil, lime juice, pepper and salt. Add shrimp, mushrooms and scallions; stir to combine. Thread shrimp, mushrooms and scallions onto eight 10- to 12-inch skewers and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Broil until the shrimp are cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with the reserved sauce.
TIPS & NOTES:
- Refrigerate leftover coconut milk for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. It will appear separated when thawed; simply shake until smooth.
Per serving: 216 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 183 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 548 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat