All of the delicious flavors of your favorite fried Chinese restaurant appetizer come together in a lighter, faster, one skillet meal! This “Egg Roll in a Bowl” is a quick and healthy dinner that’s ready in about 20 minutes!
Large skillet (I own and love this Smithey Ironware Co. cast iron skillet)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast (can substitute with ground chicken, ground beef, or ground pork)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil*
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic**
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup grated or “matchstick” carrots
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (optional, but recommended)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Drain; return meat to skillet.
Add diced onion, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for a few more minutes (until onion is tender).
Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce (optional), coleslaw mix, and carrots to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for about 5-7 more minutes, or until cabbage is wilted.
Remove skillet from the heat. Stir in green onions and season with salt and pepper, to taste.