- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup smooth, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, applesauce, oil, orange zest and juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Put the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar into a small flat-bottomed dish or pan. Roll the dough with floured hands (it will be very moist) into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until barely golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Per Cookie: 102 calories; 5 g fat(0 g sat); 1 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein