Shelling out cash for prepared food you could have made for less money at home gets old fast. But a healthy lunch doesn’t have to be expensive. Stick to your budget by making your lunch at home and bringing it to work. These healthy lunch ideas clock in at $3 or less per serving.
BLATs (Bacon-Lettuce-Avocado-Tomato Sandwiches) (4 servings)
In this healthy BLT recipe, we use a creamy avocado spread flavored with garlic and basil, and add sprouts. Look for sprouted-wheat bread in the frozen section or with other specialty breads at your grocery store.
- 8 slices center-cut bacon, halved
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon finely grated or minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 slices sprouted-wheat bread
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 4 romaine leaves
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Active – 25 m and Ready In – 25 m
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado in a medium bowl. Stir in basil, mayonnaise, garlic, salt and pepper. Toast bread.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the avocado mixture on 4 slices of toast. Top each with 4 pieces of bacon, 2 tomato slices, 1 lettuce leaf, ¼ cup sprouts and the remaining toast.