Parmesan Arugula Avocado Toast
Avocado toast is all the rage, but you don’t have to stop topping your toast after adding this fabulous fruit. Adding a serving of vegetables and some cheese (which ups the protein content) takes this easy-to-assemble breakfast to the next level.
- 1 handful arugula or other salad green
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 ripe avocado
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, mash the ripe avocado with a dash of salt and pepper.
2. Spread the mashed avocado onto toasted bread.
3. Top with arugula, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.
Veggie Breakfast Burrito
Black beans bump up the fiber content and zucchini adds low-calorie bulk in this better-for-you take on a breakfast burrito.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sliced or shredded zucchini pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 whole-wheat tortilla
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, to taste
1. Spray nonstick pan with cooking spray and sauté zucchini over medium-high heat or until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove zucchini from pan.
2. Spray nonstick pan again and fry or scramble egg. Remove egg from pan.
3. Return pan to stovetop and add a whole-wheat tortilla. Top with black beans and sprinkle with cheese. Heat just until tortilla is browned on the bottom and cheese melts.
4. Add egg and zucchini (and salsa if desired) and roll up burrito.