The superman is a move that you can easily try today. Here’s how:
- Lie on the floor in a prone (facedown) position, with your legs straight and your arms extended in front of you.
- Keeping your head in a neutral position (avoid looking up), slowly lift your arms and legs around 6 inches (15.3 cm) off the floor, or until you feel your lower back muscles contracting. Engage your glutes, your core, and the muscles between your shoulder blades simultaneously.
- Aim to lift your belly button slightly off the floor to contract your abs. A good way to picture this is to imagine you’re Superman flying in the air.
- Hold this position for 2–3 seconds. Be sure you’re breathing the entire time.
- Lower your arms, legs, and belly back to the floor. Repeat this exercise for 2–3 sets of 8–12 reps.
It’s important to lift only as far as your body feels comfortable. Though you may be able to lift just a few inches off the floor, you’ll still get a great workout. If you find this move too difficult, try lifting only your arms off the floor.
What’s more, avoid lifting your head or hyperextending your neck, which can lead to pain or discomfort.