4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4–6 oz each)
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 pineapple slices (1⁄2″ thick)
4 whole-wheat buns (Note: Whole-wheat buns are often made with a small percentage of whole grains and a surplus of sugar. Settle on a brand with 3 grams of fiber and fewer than 110 calories per bun. Nature’s Own Whitewheat buns are the best in show.)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine the chicken and enough teriyaki sauce to cover in a resealable plastic bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- Heat a grill until hot (You shouldn’t be able to hold your hand above the grates for more than 5 seconds.)
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill; discard any remaining marinade.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on the first side; flip and immediately add the cheese to each breast.
- Continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the chicken is lightly charred and firm to the touch. Remove and set aside.
- While the chicken rests, add the pineapple and the buns to the grill. Cook the buns until they’re lightly toasted and the pineapple until it’s soft and caramelized, about 2 minutes per side.
- Top each bun with chicken, red onion, jalapeño slices, and pineapple. If you like, drizzle the chicken with a bit more teriyaki sauce.