What are the benefits of hip stretches?
The good news is that there are plenty of good hip flexor stretches out there—some working directly on your hip flexors, while others working on your surrounding muscles, like your glutes—that you can do to relieve discomfort, decrease tightness, and increase mobility in your hips. Since your hips are involved in so many of the movements you make (both inside and outside of the gym) stretching them is a great way to keep them feeling good and ready to work for you.
Add some of the 16 hip stretches below to the end of your workout, or spend 10 minutes each day just doing a few of them, to improve mobility in your hips.
Lunge With Spinal Twist
- Start standing with your feet together.
- Take a big step forward with your left foot, so that you are in a staggered stance.
- Bend your left knee and drop into a lunge, keeping your right leg straight behind you with your toes on the ground, so you feel a stretch at the front of your right thigh.
- Place your right hand on the floor and twist your upper body to the left as you extend your left arm toward the ceiling.
- Hold for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Repeat on the other side.
Stretches hip flexors, quads, back.