- 1 pound (453g) peeled, seedless watermelon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 small (27g) red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons (44 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups (2 ounces/57g) arugula or baby spinach
- 1/3 cup (38g) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons (5g) torn fresh mint leaves
Cut the watermelon into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and place in an even layer in a large zip-top plastic bag. Press out as much air as possible and lie the watermelon flat in the freezer. Place a few items on top to weigh the fruit down (such as bags of frozen vegetables). Freeze for 2 hours.
Meanwhile, soak the sliced red onions in a large bowl of ice water. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest and honey. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with pepper.
Remove the watermelon from the bag and transfer to a large serving bowl. Drain the red onions, pat them dry and add them to the bowl. Add the arugula and dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle the cheese and mint over the top of the salad and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups
Per serving: Calories: 132; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 11mg; Sodium: 410mg; Carbohydrate: 15g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 3g