Servings: 8 Bake Time: 40 mins; Total Time: 1hr
170 cal, 3.5g total fat, 0.5g sat fat, 360mg sodium, 13g carbs, 21g protein
1 onion, quartered 4 garlic cloves 1 large carrot, quartered
1 celery stalk, quartered 2 1/2 cups baby spinach 3 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten, or 1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes
1 1/2 pound lean ground meat (turkey or chicken) 1 1/4 cup quinoa, cooked then cooled
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/4 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large skillet. Add carrot and celery to the food processor, and pulse until chopped. Add spinach and pulse a few times more. Add to the skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring until vegetables release liquid. Continue cooking until liquid evaporates and vegetables begin to brown, about 8 minutes; add water a tablespoon at a time, if necessary, to keep vegetables from sticking. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add egg, ground meat, quinoa, soy sauce and black pepper to the bowl, and mix gently with your hands. Scrape mixture onto the baking sheet and form into a loaf approximately 4 inches wide and 10 inches long; wet your hands if the mixture is very sticky.
- Spread top of loaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce. Bake until cooked through and browned, about 40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before slicing.