Ingredients – 12 servings
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, (2 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran, (see Ingredient notes)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips, (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
Active 30 m
Ready In 1 h
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Ingredient Notes: You can use buttermilk powder in place of fresh buttermilk. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
- Unprocessed wheat bran is the outer layer of the wheat kernel, removed during milling. Also known as miller’s bran, it can be found in the baking section. Do not substitute bran cereal in this recipe.
- DIY Muffin Cups: Make your next batch of muffins or cupcakes the ultimate grab-and-go treat by lining your tin with muffin liners. No liners? No problem. Use 5-inch squares of parchment paper, coat each muffin cup with cooking spray, and push each square into the cups using a small can or bottle, pressing the paper up the sides. (It’s OK if some of the paper is sticking out over the rim.) Fill each cup as directed.
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Per serving: 200 calories; 6 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 40 mcg folate; 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g sugars; 11 g added sugars; 69 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 83 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 217 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2½
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat